Tuesday 5 July 2016

Rhode Island - The End

22 June 69NM
Rhode Island 69NM

I set off early again as I was looking forward to some rest after the last few days.   The sunrise is one of the nicer ones I can recall, there was no wind, which just added to the effect.. The wind was pretty much calm, up till we got to the Newport, then it turned from a Southerly to a NW, and from that point on, I had the wind pretty much all the time on the nose..  It got a bit frustrating as there was about 0.5kt current against and the wind, typical, when you want to get to port it takes for *EVER*..  I eventually got to port..

With about 8NM to go, I double checked the chart and I had a bit of a surprise, according to the chart, the entry to the harbour was 2.1m - which meant I would have to wait for high tide.. The other worrying thing is the chart had the depth in the marina as the same - which would mean I would be in mud on the low tide.  The office was closed by now and I was a bit concerned and I called Dana (yacht Broker, who will handle the selling of the boat) and let him know my concern - he assured me that they had dredged the harbour.  I decided I would enter at a snails pace any any time I touched bottom, I would leave..  Fortunately I never did and in no time, i was tied to the dock, thus ending the epic journey...
Haunting sunrise

Saftley at port..

No comments:

Post a Comment